Saturday, July 11, 2009

Three Days Of The Shining Flycatcher

FF
I first saw a glimpse of this bird under a mangrove tree. I returned the next day only to get a look at it sitting on a branch in pure sunshine but by the time I raised my camera and focus all I saw was a bouncing branch. I also noticed it seemed to earn a living moving through the mangrove understorey as the tide went out. So day three arrived and I went to a couple of places I thought it might be revisiting and there it was. I then managed to work ahead and pick what I thought would be a sunlit break in the mangrove thicket and was even more surprised when it bounded into the sunlight and waited long enough for me to catch these two photos.
FF

FF
Female Shining Flycatcher Myiagra alecto
FF

FF
While I was waiting for the tide to turn I caught a glimpse of several
Pop-eye mullet Squalomugil nasutus. What a bow wave!
FF
FF

No comments: