Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Gumlon Falls and Pine Creek

FF
For three days I wandered around the stone escarpment in hot dry conditions. I walked early and while the rocky surrounds seemed quiet, I saw enough life to keep me interested and my mind off the steep and gnarly rocks I was scampering over. I also wandered up the dry river bed for several kilometres where an occasional deep water hole was lined with Bloodwoods or Paperbarks. The inhabitants are very shy and its hard to get around on the quite because of all the underbrush and sandy banks.

Pine Creek was full of life in the morning as many birds come to drink. I was lucky to see the Hooded Parrots drinking from water collected on the pavement from overnight watering. It is quite clear from this outing that water is essential and nothing lives very far from it.
FF
Coutship:Agile wallaby Macropus agilis
FF

FF
Australian White Ibis Threskiornis molucca
FF

FF
Brown Goshawk Accipiter fasciatus
FF
FF
Common Bronzewing Phaps chalcoptera
FF
FF
Hooded Parrot Psephotus dissimilis
FF
FF
L-spot Basker Aethriamanta nymphaeae
FF
FF
Northern Rosella Platycercus venustus
FF
FF
Pygmy Percher Nannodiplax rubra
FF
FF
Radjah Shelduck Tadorna radjah
FF
FF
Robber Fly Asilidae Asilinae
FF
FF
Sandstone Shrike-thrush Colluricincla woodwardi
FF
FF
Silver-crowned Friar Bird Philemon argenticeps
ff
ff
White-lined Honeyeater Meliphaga albilineata
FF
FF

No comments: